Statistics Canada has launched information from its newest Nationwide Hashish Survey (NCS) that reveals use of the plant is definitely common within the nation.
Canada’s Hashish Act grew to become legislation in October final yr and Statistics Canada has been monitoring consumption earlier than and after the legislative change on a quarterly foundation.
The newest report reveals from mid-Could to mid-June this yr, roughly 4.9 million or 16% of Canadians aged 15 and older reported utilizing cannabis within the earlier three months.
Of these, 332,700 reported utilizing cannabis for a medical objective with documentation, 811,600 for a medical objective with out documentation and 1,583,100 for each medical and non-medical functions. The rest, 2,363,200, had been utilizing cannabis for non-medical functions solely.
The survey report doesn’t go into a lot element about medical use particularly, however states males are extra doubtless to make use of cannabis for non-medical causes than females.
Well being Canada Medical Hashish Statistics
The newest out there data on medical cannabis within the nation from Well being Canada to the top of March 2019 reveals:
- There have been 354,538 medical shopper registrations with federally licensed sellers.
- 30,883 individuals had been registered with Well being Canada for cultivation of cannabis for their very own medical functions on the finish of March 2019.
- 5,162 kilograms of dried cannabis and 14,730 litres of cannabis oil for medical functions was offered between the start of January and the top of March.
- 340 kilograms of dried cannabis and 195 litres of cannabis oil had been exported for medical or scientific functions throughout the identical interval.
- Throughout March, Well being Canada processed 4,107 registration functions – effectively up on February’s 3,639.
- The common approved quantity of dried cannabis for medical functions related to lively registrations throughout March was 2.zero grams.
The quantity of dried cannabis for medical functions offered in March (1,698 kilograms) was effectively under the October 2018 determine (1,941 kilograms); doubtless because of the brand new legal guidelines launched in mid-October legalising cannabis for leisure use; i.e. some medicinal customers are doubtless sourcing from the leisure market.
Medical cannabis was additionally subjected to the identical tax as that utilized to leisure in October final yr – a sore level for a lot of sufferers. Nevertheless, a 2019 funds measure noticed a tax credit score launched for medical cannabis bills incurred after October 16, 2018. Finances 2019 additionally made changes to excise duties for edible cannabis, extracts (together with cannabis oils) and topicals. These at the moment are topic to an excise obligation at a flat fee based mostly on the amount of whole tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Final September Well being Canada was reported to have dedicated to persevering with to function the nation’s medical cannabis system, however will probably be reviewed inside 5 years.